I’m particularly enthusiastic about this re-creation of Collider Women Night time for various causes. First off, I’m obsessive about the brand new Amazon collection The Wilds. It debuted on Prime Video in early December and follows a bunch of younger lady stranded on a abandoned island. Not solely is there an enchanting thriller at play, however the present additionally encompasses a downright stellar ensemble together with our Women Night time visitor, Mia Healey.
So sure, I used to be past thrilled to speak a few present I fell so exhausting for with Healey, however the different thrilling factor about this dialog is that it marks the very first episode of Collider Women Night time that places the highlight on somebody getting their first display credit score. For those who’ve seen all of The Wilds this in all probability received’t come as a lot of a shock given the uncooked expertise on show as Healey navigates Shelby’s arc, however she was fortunate sufficient to guide the present quickly after drama college. Right here’s how she put it:
“It was early on, and I’m so grateful for that. It was very surprising, just fresh out the gate. I think I just came out of drama school, all guns blazing, just so eager and excited. And thankfully this job, which has just been the best job, landed. The timeline was probably around a few months of auditioning and working as a receptionist. That I really loved. But then after the pilot, before Season 1, that’s when I was doing all of the auditioning that every actor experiences”
So sure, finally The Wilds did get a full season order from Amazon, however there was a reasonably sizable hole between filming the pilot episode after which leaping into Season 1 correct. Healey defined, “We filmed the pilot in September of 2018. So we flew in in August 2018, and then we filmed Season 1 in September 2019.” Going into the pilot episode, Healey admitted she didn’t know a lot about what was actually occurring with Shelby. “There was something about her, because she was so different to me, and she becomes a lot more like me throughout the series which is kind of funny.” It wasn’t till they bought the complete season go-ahead that she bought a transparent image of the challenges that Shelby faces, and when it got here time to movie these key beats for the character, boy did Healey seize that chance.
From the viewer perspective, it seems as if Healey tackled the function with the utmost confidence and understanding of her craft by means of and thru, however she did notice that the expertise got here with a studying curve. So going ahead, what new device in her appearing toolkit, so to talk, can Healey credit score to enjoying Shelby Goodkind?
“One thing that Shelby taught me as an actor is playing the truth in scenes that [is] unspoken, because for so much of the series, there were things going on in her life and in her head that were not expressed in the script because she was hiding a lot of secrets. So what I learned from playing her is being able to play those nuances and those demons that she’s got in the back of her mind, but she won’t let show. And I think it’s very easy when auditioning to be like, ‘I know that she’s got a secret and I’m gonna try and play that so that the casting directors can see that,’ or whatever it is. But it was a really good learning lesson to be able to play a character who’s hiding so much, but still going through so much the entire time. Once we had gone to Season 1, I knew the general arc of her story and what she’d gone through and been going through on the island. So being able to internalize that and not play it is something that I’ll take into all my jobs from now on.”
Given how nicely that already comes by means of in Healey’s work in Season 1 one in all The Wilds, the considered Healey honing that ability additional is certain to make her much more of a powerhouse in Season 2. It’s actually one thing else to see somebody burst onto the scene with such stellar work proper out the gate. Not solely does it bode nicely for the standard of The Wilds going ahead, however it’s additionally a positive signal that Healey’s title goes to be one nicely worth understanding nicely past it.
For those who’d like to listen to extra about Healey’s journey to The Wilds, what it was like working on her first large set, some Season 2 teases and extra, you’ll be able to catch our full dialog within the video on the prime of this text!
And should you’ve but to catch her work in The Wilds, what are you ready for? Season 1 of the present is streaming on Amazon proper now. And be warned, you’ll in all probability must carve out chunk of time to look at it as a result of when you begin, you received’t be capable of cease.
- 00:45 – When Healey first realized that she needed to be an actor.
- 02:17 – Why Healey was busy rewatching outdated favorites in 2020; the brand new 2020 Hulu collection that she cherished.
- 03:17 – When Healey pictured herself “making it,” what precisely did she image? Was it changing into a giant film star or flourishing in a selected style?
- 04:36 – What’s it that pulls Healey to dramas above all else?
- 05:57 – Does Healey want to have the ability to relate to her characters?
- 07:07 – The invaluable help Healey acquired from her mother and father whereas pursuing her dream.
- 08:43 – Reserving The Wilds proper after drama college; how a lot time was there between filming the pilot and filming Season 1 formally?
- 09:52 – How a lot did Healey learn about Shelby when filming the pilot episode?
- 10:44 – What occurred after they filmed the pilot; why that time frame taught her persistence.
- 11:56 – What it was like auditioning in LA for 3 months after filming The Wilds pilot; her greatest takeaway from experiencing the audition grind.
- 14:20 – The Wilds is Healey first display credit score; what shocked her most in regards to the manufacturing course of?
- 15:43 – Healey on being drawn to the writing course of.
- 16:40 – What it was like deciphering a name sheet for the very first time.
- 17:35 – The value of being a part of an skilled ensemble whereas getting her first display credit score.
- 18:38 – Of everybody in The Wilds ensemble, whose course of is most much like Healey’s?
- 19:43 – What Healey realized about her craft by enjoying Shelby.
- 21:20 – What’s the most important distinction between the Shelby Healey dropped at her audition and the Shelby we see within the present?
- 22:39 – What elements of Shelby have been best for Healey to attach with and what qualities required extra thought and exploration?
- 24:11 – The value of getting an open dialogue with the writers whereas creating Shelby’s arc; did that form of collaborative expertise give Healey the itch to write down herself?
- 26:15 – What number of occasions has Healey been requested if she will be able to survive on a abandoned island; what’s a seemingly little factor that will do Healey in in that form of state of affairs?
- 28:04 – Healey talks about going bungee leaping with Erana James.
- 29:47 – Spoiler Warning for The Wilds: Healey discusses what it was like going by means of the bald cap course of and the behind-the-scenes necessities for Shelby’s tooth.
- 32:50 – Healey on what it was like for her and James after they first discovered about Shelby and Toni’s relationship.
- 33:53 – Of every thing Shelby goes by means of, what was probably the most difficult for Healey to movie?
- 35:20 – How Healey recovers from doing more durable scenes when she leaves set.
- 36:40 – Healey discusses The Wilds Season 2 – when did she first discover out in regards to the renewal, does she know when filming begins and what does she learn about Shelby’s arc going ahead?
- 39:03 – Was Healey thrilled that she didn’t should faux vomit in Episode 6?
- 40:34 – What Healey is most desperate to discover extra in Season 2.
- 41:25 – Random questions start! Discover out what meal Healey would wish to eat time and again, if she collects something, if she has any tattoos, and her greatest concern overcome.
“He’ll find time for you.”
About The Creator