America Airlines – Lengthy Island MacArthur Airport strikes forward regardless of pandemic challenges | COVID-19 Coronavirus Native Information
RONKONKOMA, NY (OnSachem.com / OnTownMedia.com) — This previous 12 months has been an unprecedented problem throughout many elements of on a regular basis life, together with journey and aviation, because the COVID-19 pandemic unfold. Lengthy Island MacArthur Airport (ISP) in Ronkonkoma wasn’t alone in going through the coronavirus. Officers are reflecting on the previous 12 months and the way the airport responded to maintain planes flying whereas prioritizing well being and security.
“We stay steadfast in serving to Lengthy Island face up to, recuperate, and rebuild from the devastating results of COVID-19 in 2020,” stated City of Islip Supervisor Angie Carpenter. The City of Islip owns and operates the airport.
“Our top priority was to improve the airport so it could safely continue to serve our community,” Carpenter added. “Instantly, that meant well being and wellness for vacationers together with putting in an revolutionary 24/7 pathogen discount system, making COVID testing sign-ups simple on the airport, including antimicrobial movies to excessive contact areas, and extra.”
“From the start, we looked for best practices along with innovation,” stated MacArthur Airport Commissioner Shelley LaRose-Arken. “We also understood that the State of New York was hit hard along with the rest of the country. We faced a rapidly changing set of circumstances and needed to quickly adapt in the best interest of our customers and the community.”
LaRose-Arken continued, “We also understood that the airport plays a key role as an economic engine for Long Island and that jobs – directly and indirectly – connected to our airport were at stake. We committed to stay safe and work hard for our airport and community.”
Trying again at 2020, Carpenter and LaRose-Arken highlighted key airport accomplishments and landmarks:
1. Earlier than the pandemic arrived regionally, 2020 began with main recognition. Lengthy Island MacArthur Airport was chosen as one of many prime small airports in America primarily based on USA At this time’s 10Greatest Readers’ Selection Awards. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
2. In March, the pandemic roared into the area. Hand sanitizer was reintroduced all through the airport. Communication with prospects and staff relating to well being and security practices was instantly deployed.
3. Airlines put in Plexiglas shields at ticket counters and gate podiums to supply additional safety for purchasers and staff.
4. ISP put in and activated a breakthrough 24/7 pathogen discount system; a primary for any U.S. airport, capturing nationwide consideration on the At this time Present. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
5. ISP started its 2020 advertising and marketing marketing campaign. By year-end, regardless of a major discount in funds versus 2019, the marketing campaign produced over 12 million impressions.
6. ISP was among the many first U.S. airports to put in a touchless private protecting tools (PPE) merchandising machine within the terminal. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
7. MacArthur Airport grew to become the primary airport on the planet to make use of Silver Defender antimicrobial movies on high-touch surfaces. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
8. Frontier Airlines introduced new nonstop service from ISP to Las Vegas. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
9. The $2.Eight million development of Runway 15R/33L and related Taxiway Edge Lighting substitute started.
10. Building crews began work on the $8.6 million rehabilitation of 29,000 cubic yards of concrete for the airport’s West Apron. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
11. New York State Division of Well being started weekly map updates of states requiring quarantine for journey.
12. Lengthy Island MacArthur Airport broke floor on a Floor Automobile Transportation Heart. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
13. MacArthur Airport and Hawthorne World Aviation Companies held a ribbon-cutting for a state-of-the-art hangar facility – the primary hangar enchancment in a long time.
14. TSA launched one of many first 3-D imaging scanning tools within the nation at ISP. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
15. TSA launched environment friendly new ID verification at ISP.
16. ISP launched a cooperative advertising and marketing marketing campaign to advertise Frontier’s Las Vegas service.
17. ISP performed a full-scale security drill as required by FAA.
18. Touchless choices for meals and purchasing have been launched, new QR codes made ordering simpler for vacationers.
19. American Household Care started COVID-19 testing sign-ups at ISP. (Extra from OnSachem Information.)
20. ISP recovered the next proportion of its pre-COVID scheduled seats than another medium or small hub airport in New York.
“Throughout this very difficult year, we continued to move forward together with our airport partners, airlines and community,” Carpenter stated. “We missed our customers greatly, but continued our efforts knowing what we do affects jobs and economic recovery for the entire region. Challenges remain, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.”
“We continue to make judicious investments in our airport by building and using technology to provide the highest standard of customer care. We are committed to our passengers, airlines and Long Island. We believe this is why MacArthur Airport continues to be recognized as one of the best small airports in the U.S. We were just nominated again in 2021, for USAToday’s 10 Best Awards,” stated Carpenter.
The general public can vote for ISP as soon as per day till Feb. 1 Go to the net voting web page for details about every nominated airport. Or, go on to the voting web page for Lengthy Island MacArthur Airport.
MORE ABOUT THE AIRPORT
Lengthy Island MacArthur Airport prospects get pleasure from flights on three main U.S. home air carriers: American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and Southwest Airlines. Collectively these carriers at the moment present service to 10 cities nonstop, and connect with lots of of locations worldwide. The airport serves 1.6 million passengers yearly and employs 6,000 individuals immediately and not directly, with a $16 million annual working funds and an financial affect of $600 million to the area and native financial system, in response to the City of Islip.
MacArthur Airport Fb