American Express – Is the US a failure? – Colorado Every day
It’s usually stated that the US is the richest and strongest nation on earth, and that is in all probability true. However some considerate critics however think about the U.S. a failure. If we consider our nation by the life it supplies to most of its residents, it would effectively be thought-about a failure.
America may be the richest and strongest nation on earth, however it additionally manifests excessive social and financial inequality. And this inequality has devastating penalties.
The autumn challenge of the superb socialist journal Jacobin (with motto “Reason in Revolt”) investigates methods wherein the US fails. The editors of Jacobin examine the U.S. to 36 different capitalist international locations which can be members of the Group of Financial Co-operation and Improvement (OECD). The comparisons are organized round 4 basic themes: (1) employees’ rights, (2) belief in public establishments, (3) social security web, and (4) high quality of life.
Indicators of employees’ rights
- P.c of employees lined by collective bargaining agreements: 90% of Austrian employees are lined by collective bargaining agreements. The U.S., with 10% of employees lined, ranks 18th amongst OECD international locations.
- P.c of employees incomes lower than two-thirds of median revenue: In Belgium solely 8% of employees earn lower than two-thirds of median revenue. The U.S. ranks 17th amongst OECD international locations with over 22% of employees incomes lower than this modest revenue normal.
- Gini coefficient of revenue inequality (larger Gini scores point out extra inequality): Slovenia has the bottom revenue inequality (amongst OECD international locations). The U.S. ranks 20th.
Indicators of belief in public establishments
- P.c with little or no confidence in Congress: 70% of Norwegians express confidence of their legislature. Over 80% of People express little or no confidence in Congress (18th rank).
- P.c with little or no confidence in civil service: Virtually 70% of People express little or no confidence in our civil service. Residents in 14 different OECD international locations express extra confidence of their civil service.
- P.c preferring army rule over democracy: (Here’s a actual shocker.) Virtually 20% of People express a desire for army rule over democracy. It is a far larger desire for army rule than present in Germany, Japan, Italy, or 15 different OECD international locations.
Indicators of the social security web
- P.c of GDP spent on household advantages: Sweden spends eight occasions extra on household advantages than the U.S., which ranks 26th amongst OECD international locations on this indicator.
- P.c of GDP spent on job assist packages: Denmark spends 12 occasions extra on job assist packages than we do. The U.S. ranks 22nd on job assist expenditures.
- P.c of median revenue supplied to the jobless: Unemployed individuals within the U.S. obtain about 10% of median revenue (we rank 22nd). Unemployed employees in Japan get greater than six occasions as a lot.
Indicators of high quality of life
- P.c of inhabitants residing in poverty: Over 17% of People dwell in poverty, which is 10% larger than within the Czech Republic and places us in 19th place amongst OECD international locations.
- Toddler mortality — deaths per hundred births: Virtually six infants die for 100 dwell births within the U.S. Lower than two per 100 die in Slovenia and Iceland. We languish in 26th place.
- P.c of ladies who’ve skilled violence: 36% of American ladies report having skilled violence (24th place). Lower than 10% of Swiss ladies report experiencing violence.
- P.c of inhabitants that’s chubby: Over 70% of People (above 15 years outdated) are thought-about chubby or overweight. Lower than 30% of Japanese persons are chubby.
- Life expectancy: Life expectancy within the U.S. is presently about 77 years. Japanese and Swiss individuals can anticipate to dwell over seven years longer. Individuals in 25 different OECD international locations — together with Israel, Korea, Slovenia and Chile — have longer life expectancy than People.
Given these extremely unflattering comparisons, it’s definitely not unreasonable to contemplate the richest and strongest nation on earth a failure.
Tag: American Express