New Year’s Day is a federal holiday and banks across the country, including the Federal Reserve, are closed on January 1.
This year New Year’s Day falls on a Friday. The Federal Reserve advises: “For holidays falling on Saturday, Federal Reserve Banks and Branches will be open the preceding Friday; however, the Board of Governors will be closed. For holidays falling on Sunday, all Federal Reserve offices will be closed the following Monday.”
While bank offices are shut on January 1, customers can still access online banking services or ATM machines to make deposits and withdraw money.
Some banks may also be offering reduced services amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Contact your local bank for more information on any modified services and COVID-19 safety measures in place before visiting.
Several banks also offer ATM drive-thru services, which can be accessed whenever the bank is closed.
Most ATM machines are open late while some are open 24 hours. But the exact hours of operation for ATM machines may vary on New Year’s Day, depending on the location. Contact your local bank before accessing an ATM machine to confirm opening hours.
Since banks are closed on January 1, customers should aim to complete their transactions before New Year’s Day to avoid any banking issues. Most are open on December 31 but some may be on a reduced schedule.
Below are the banking hours at some major banks on New Year’s Eve, according to GoBankingRates.com. Contact your nearest branch before visiting to confirm the exact hours as they may vary by location.
- Bank of America: normal hours
- Bank of the West: normal hours
- BBVA: normal hours
- BB&T: open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. local time
- BMO Harris Bank: open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
- Capital One: normal hours
- Chase: open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time
- Citizens Bank: open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
- Fifth Third Bank: open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
- Huntington: open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
- KeyBank: open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. local time
- People’s United Bank: open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. local time
- PNC Bank: most branches are open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. local time
- Regions: open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. local time
- Santander Bank: open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. local time
- SunTrust: normal hours
- TD Bank: many branches open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time
- UBank: open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. local time
- Union Bank: many branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
- U.S. Bank: open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. local time
- Wells Fargo: open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. local time
See also Chase Online.
How to Send Money Online.
Partner Banking News.