A examine revealed Wednesday in The New England Journal of Drugs says a 54-year-old man died because of consuming an excessive amount of licorice. The person, a building employee from Massachusetts, misplaced consciousness inside a fast-food restaurant and was taken to a hospital, the place he died the following day. Medical doctors wrote that he had “a poor food plan, consisting primarily of a number of packages of sweet each day,” and that three weeks earlier than, he switched from consuming fruit-flavored tender sweet to licorice sweet, which contained glycyrrhizic acid. CNN has reached out to Dr. Elazer Edelman, one of many examine’s authors, and is ready to listen to again.Glycyrrhizic acid, or glycyrrhizin, a sweetening compound derived from licorice root, could cause a drop in potassium ranges within the physique, which in flip may trigger hypertension, swelling, irregular coronary heart rhythms and even coronary heart failure, in keeping with the FDA.RELATED: Do not unintentionally overdose on black licorice this Halloween, the FDA warnsPeople 40 or older must be particularly vigilant about their black licorice consumption: even 2 ounces per day, over a two-week interval, might trigger irregular coronary heart rhythm and may require hospitalization, the FDA cautions.The damaging results of consuming an excessive amount of licorice are reversible, and wane when consumption is interrupted. A return to regular potassium ranges may take one to 2 weeks, in keeping with the examine.Fortunately, there are protected alternate options. In response to the NIH, many licorice merchandise accessible within the US do not truly comprise licorice, however reasonably anise oil, which is comparable in taste.