File-shattering numbers of COVID-19 circumstances and hospitalizations in Santa Clara County have prompted nervous well being leaders to concern new directives, the county well being division introduced on Saturday, Nov. 28. Because the lethal virus continues to run rampant, close by San Mateo County officers additionally introduced their county has slipped into the state’s extra restrictive “purple tier” and a nighttime curfew.
State well being officers had already put Santa Clara County again into the purple tier efficient Nov. 17 to attempt to curb quickly escalating virus, however county well being leaders at the moment are taking additional restrictive steps for the reason that variety of circumstances have continued to skyrocket.
As of Nov. 28, Santa Clara County had 760 new circumstances of COVID-19 and 239 COVID-related hospitalizations, 71 of that are within the intensive-care unit, county officers mentioned in a press launch. These numbers set new information for the best single-day counts for the reason that outset of the pandemic. To scale back the chance of a surge in hospitalizations that may exceed the capability of hospitals inside the county, Well being Officer Dr. Sara Cody introduced new necessary directives that accompany her prior Danger Discount Order.
The adjustments embody a most 10% capability indoors in lots of shops and amenities, prohibiting contact sports activities, and decreasing the scale of outside gatherings. The county can also be issuing a compulsory directive on journey, which strongly discourages leisure and nonessential journey, and requires anybody coming into the county to quarantine for 14 days after coming back from the journey of greater than 150 miles. The brand new necessary directives start Monday, Nov. 30 at 12:01 a.m. and can stay in impact till at the very least Dec. 21 at 5 p.m. until they’re prolonged.
“I’m gravely involved by the persevering with surge in COVID-19 circumstances and hospitalizations,” Cody mentioned in a public assertion. “The variety of sufferers hospitalized with COVID-19 in our county has doubled in simply the previous couple of weeks, and we’re susceptible to exceeding our hospital capability very quickly if present developments proceed. Throughout this vital time of surging COVID-19 transmission in our neighborhood, I urge each resident to train warning and to the best extent attainable, decrease contact with anybody exterior of your speedy family.”
The brand new orders embody:
• Capability limits for indoor amenities: Shops and different amenities open to the general public will probably be restricted to 10% capability indoors. Grocery shops, drug shops and pharmacies will probably be allowed to function at 25% capability indoors to make sure enough entry to meals and drugs.
All amenities open to the general public should set up a “metering system” to make sure the capability limits, resembling by posting an worker on the facility entrance to trace the variety of folks coming into and exiting.
• Outside gatherings: Gatherings proceed to be allowed solely outdoor, with a most of 100 folks. The state limits such gatherings, nonetheless, to First Modification protected actions, resembling non secular providers or protests.
• Skilled, collegiate, and youth sports activities: All leisure actions involving bodily contact or shut proximity to folks exterior one’s family, together with all contact sports activities, will probably be briefly prohibited. Individuals can proceed to have interaction in outside athletics and recreation the place social distancing may be maintained always.
• Cardrooms: Cardrooms are briefly closed.
• Inns and different lodging amenities: Inns and different lodging amenities will probably be open just for important journey and to be used to help isolation or quarantine.
• Quarantine post-travel: Leisure and nonessential journey are strongly discouraged, and a brand new necessary directive on journey would require folks to quarantine for 14 days upon return to the county after journey of greater than 150 miles. Well being care employees touring into the county to offer care or sufferers touring into the county to acquire therapy are exempted from this requirement.
San Mateo County has additionally moved again into the state’s “purple tier” on Saturday after it had beforehand been within the less-restrictive “pink tier” since late September. A press release issued by the San Mateo County Emergency Operations Heart introduced the brand new designation and a nighttime curfew, each to start on Nov. 30.
All retail, together with purchasing malls, are restricted to 25% of capability and indoor restaurant eating is prohibited. A full record of what is regulated may be discovered right here.
The county can also be underneath a curfew order that begins at 10 p.m. by 5 a.m. San Mateo County has seen an 85% spike in COVID-19 circumstances between October and November, in response to county well being information.
“This isn’t surprising contemplating the virus is surging throughout the state,” Supervisor David Canepa mentioned in a separate assertion. “That being mentioned, we have now doubled the speed we’re testing and at the moment are second within the state behind solely San Francisco within the charge that we do take a look at. We’re effectively positioned to deal with the surge contemplating the hospital capability we have now and sources wanted to battle COVID. As the vacations method, we should double down on the core behaviors of frequent hand washing, socially distancing, avoiding crowds and most significantly carrying our rattling masks. It is on us to take the private duty to guard our households, buddies and neighbors from this very lethal illness.”
Discover complete protection on the Midpeninsula’s response to the brand new coronavirus by Palo Alto On-line, the Mountain View Voice and the Almanac right here.