When storms roll in and it’s vital for the household to go to the basement or to a storm shelter, I at all times have a fleeting thought, “Do I have everything I need?” I at all times seize my purse, a jacket and my sneakers however I ponder if I ought to seize one thing else. Generally storms enable us only some moments to take cowl however not sufficient time to collect essential paperwork or objects.
If in case you have already ready a “grab and go file” of essential paperwork – Good for you! However the place is it saved? Whether it is in your house workplace or on the second ground of your own home, that may not be the most effective place. Take into account shifting it to the basement and placing it on a excessive shelf in a safe place. It is going to be one much less factor it’s good to discover in your method to taking cowl.
Your “grab and go file” ought to comprise:
– Copies of start certificates, driver’s license and social safety playing cards for your entire household.
– Copies of passports, marriage certificates and related paperwork.
– Copies of insurance coverage playing cards, insurance policies or proof of protection and contacts.
– A replica of your family stock.
– Bank account numbers and speak to data
– Back and front copies of your ATM and bank cards
– Money to cowl speedy bills.
– A key to your secure deposit field.
Many of those items of data could possibly be scanned and saved on a flash drive or reminiscence card as an alternative of storing paper copies of the data.
Having a seize and go file is simply a part of a whole emergency plan. Again up your laptop frequently and retailer a replica of the backup data off-site. Have a communication plan for your loved ones. Gather and assemble a catastrophe provide package, together with a conveyable generator, water, and drugs. Lastly, apply and preserve your plan.
Berny Unruh is the Household and Neighborhood Wellness Agent for the Cottonwood Extension District. She could be reached at 785-628-9430 or at email@example.com.