Home Depot – Father warns of Christmas ornament risks after transformer explodes close to his toddler
A Maple Ridge father is urging folks to double verify their Christmas decorations after a terrifying incident in his residence.
Kyle Benzies and his two-year-old daughter had been organising a 4-foot reindeer unit Friday morning however seconds after plugging it in, the transformer exploded. It was caught on video by Benzies’ residence safety digital camera.
“(The) transformer blew on the actual unit, you can hear on the video the electrical pop. My daughter was terrified,” Benzies stated. “There was a genuine electrical explosion, it burnt our tile.”
His daughter, Melanie, was solely a foot away when the spark occurred and the video captures her terrified scream as she crawls away. She wasn’t harm, however continues to be a little bit shaken.
“She was terrified, flat out terrified,” Benzies stated. “Right now she doesn’t want to go outside because that’s where daddy put the deer that are going to be going in the garbage.”
Benzies stated he purchased the product from Home Depot in Langley a number of years in the past, “Home Accents Holiday 42 inch Silver Sparkling Doe”. He known as the shop proper after the explosion and stated they supplied him a full refund, however “I was kind of left with the thought that they wouldn’t do anything further.”
CTV Information reached out to Home Depot a couple of attainable recall, however has not heard again.
Daniel Cowan, the proprietor of a Christmas lighting set up firm known as Festilight says not all Christmas lights are constructed the identical, and that almost all store-bought merchandise made for residential use will begin to fail across the two or three 12 months mark, even earlier. He stated Vancouver sees greater failure charges for outside merchandise due to the quantity of rain we get. Cowan supplied security ideas, together with his major recommendation being to verify your Christmas lights completely when unpacking them.
“Make sure that there aren’t any signs of corrosion. Test them on the ground, maybe around something that isn’t flammable,” Cowan stated.
Additionally when placing lights away on the finish of the festive season, be certain that they’re dry and saved in a breathable container.
“The worst thing you can do is take a wet string of lights after you remove them from your home and put them in a sealed, plastic bin, because that’s where you’ll get a lot of corrosion.”