The Home Depot – Time to vote out Emperor Newsom
While serving as San Francisco Mayor in 2007, Gavin Newsom confessed to infidelity with a staffer who was the wife of his closest friend and chief of staff. Newsom said that he as “deeply sorry” four times. That he was caught? How does this reflect on his moral character and leadership? It foreshadows doing anything he pleases.
California voters defeated ballot measures to abolish the death penalty in 2012 and 2016 and approved a ballot measure to shorten the death penalty appeals process. On March 12, 2019, Governor Newsom signed an executive order putting a moratorium on the death penalty in California while he is governor. He disregarded the wishes of a supermajority of California voters. He also disregarded the decisions of 737 juries. Only California voters can repeal the death penalty. He is an arrogant and feckless politician.
On Nov. 6, 2020, Governor Newsom attended a lavish and exclusive indoor dinner at the super-expensive French Laundry restaurant in Napa. This dinner was a birthday celebration for a lobbyist and occurred while California was in partial lockdown and such gatherings were forbidden. Newsom lied that they had followed the restaurant’s health protocols but photographs showed that the party was indoors, nobody was wearing masks and social distancing was not observed. Newsom, like a child caught in the act, lied about it, but apologized when the truth came out.
Again, he is a phony politician.
Governor Newsom gave $75 million of California taxpayers’ money to illegal immigrants in 2020. Governor Newsom signed the Golden State Stimulus package giving one-time payments of $600 or $1,200 to low-income residents, including immigrants in the country illegally. There are more than 2 million immigrants in California illegally. That money is not the governor’s, nor is the $75 billion surplus: It’s California taxpayer’s money, and California has the highest income tax rate in the United States of America.
The following is a partial list of Governor Newsom’s many egregious missteps:
• Ordered state workers’ pay cut by 10%, while he received full monthly salary of $17,479. California Conservation Corps wildland firefighters receive $1,905 per month, approximately $11.90 per hour, less than the California minimum wage of $14 per hour.
• Newsom closed all but essential businesses in March, but his Plumpjack Winery was open until July, and received a loan up to $300,000.
• Governor Newsom’s donors received a number of no-bid contracts. Blue Shield donated $300,000 and received a $15 million no-bid contract, Bloom Energy donated $100,000 and received a $2 million no-bid contract, and Build Your Dreams, a Chinese manufacturing company, donated $40,000 and received a no- bid contract over $1 billion.
• In April 2020 Newsom’s Department of Health suspended nursing home regulations, allowing Covid-19 patients to be housed in nursing homes.
• Governor Newsom gave in to demands of the California Teachers Association and sent home students for Zoom learning, shutting down school sports, bands, clubs, testing and graduation. His children attended private school and he initially denied it.
• Newsom determined that big-box stores, Home Depot, Costco and Walmart, were essential and could stay open. Small businesses, restaurants, bars, hair salons, barbershops, gyms, theaters and clothing stores, were considered nonessential and had to shut down.
• Newsom restricted the right to worship in churches, which is unconstitutional.
• Newsom signed an executive order, reducing criminal sentences by one third for good behavior, for simply breathing. This will release 76,000 convicts, of which the vast majority are violent offenders, and many have life sentences.
It is clear that Gavin Newsom is not fit for the job. Newsom is autocratic, arrogant, an adulterer and a sorry politician. The Navy had a word for people like this. It was “slimy.” Is this the kind of person the California voters want for governor? No, throw him out.
Roger Oberbeck, is a Navy veteran, electrical engineer, Navy Nuclear Engineer, author, and Biotech Senior Validation Engineer. He is a member of the Right Stuff Committee and can be reached at [email protected].