Justin Trudeau – Prime Minister Trudeau Updates Mandate Letter for Minister of Well being Patty Hajdu
Thunder Bay – Politics – The Prime Minister has up to date the mandate letters for his Ministers.
Right here is the up to date Mandate Letter for Minister of Well being, and Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay-Superior North Patty Hajdu:
Pricey Ms. Hajdu:
Thanks for persevering with to serve Canadians as Minister of Well being.
Since my earlier mandate letter to you, our nation has been confronted by essentially the most severe public well being disaster we now have ever confronted. The worldwide pandemic has had devastating impacts on lives and livelihoods and uncovered basic gaps in our society. Challenges that existed earlier than the pandemic stay and others have been exacerbated. In gentle of those realities, I’m issuing this supplementary letter to stipulate additional tasks and concerns that I anticipate you to undertake on behalf of Canadians. Nothing on this letter replaces any earlier commitments or expectations. It’s obligatory for us to proceed making progress on the commitments specified by 2019, whereas making certain our actions are centred on combating the pandemic and constructing again higher.
At the same time as we proceed to distribute vaccines throughout Canada, daring motion continues to be required to combat this pandemic, save lives, help folks and companies all through the rest of this disaster and construct again higher. We have to work collectively to guard and create jobs, and to rebuild our nation in a method that may create long-term competitiveness by means of clear progress. As articulated within the Speech from the Throne 2020 and Fall Financial Assertion 2020, our 4 important priorities for making tangible progress for Canadians proceed to be: defending public well being; making certain a powerful financial restoration; selling a cleaner atmosphere; and standing up for equity and equality.
Ongoing struggles all over the world – and right here at dwelling – remind us of how vital it’s to maintain working towards a brighter future. We’re at a crossroads and should preserve transferring Canada ahead to turn into stronger, extra inclusive, and extra resilient. It’s a part of your job to look out for Canadians, with specific consideration to our most weak.
We have to proceed delivering on our commitments by working collectively in a optimistic, open and collaborative method with Parliamentarians, with companions and with all Canadians. The place laws is required, I anticipate you to proceed working with the Chief of the Authorities within the Home of Commons to make progress for Canadians inside this minority Parliament.
To be prepared for what lies forward, our Authorities should proceed to be agile and use the perfect accessible science and proof. Canadians are relying on us to make sure that as we speak’s insurance policies, packages and providers are calibrated and focused to match their wants. Due to this fact, I anticipate you to uphold our ongoing dedication to delivering actual outcomes and efficient authorities for the folks we’re elected to serve.
Lots of our most vital commitments proceed to require a sustained partnership with provincial, territorial and municipal governments, and Indigenous companions, communities and governments. At all times do not forget that our mandate comes from residents who’re served by all orders of presidency, and that it’s in everybody’s curiosity that we work collectively to search out frequent floor and make life higher for Canadians. The President of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs is the Authorities-wide lead on all relations with the provinces and territories.
There stays no extra vital relationship to me and to Canada than the one with Indigenous Peoples. With respect and dignity, we stay dedicated to transferring ahead alongside the shared path of reconciliation. You, and certainly all ministers, should proceed to play a task in serving to to advance self-determination, shut socio-economic gaps and eradicate systemic limitations going through First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Peoples. As Minister, I anticipate you to work in full partnership with Indigenous Peoples and communities to advance significant reconciliation.
The Authorities has considerably elevated spending in the course of the pandemic with a purpose to obtain our most urgent precedence: to assist defend Canadians’ well being and monetary safety. Going ahead, we should protect Canada’s fiscal benefit and proceed to be guided by values of sustainability and prudence. Due to this fact, our actions should concentrate on creating new jobs and supporting the center class to protect the energy of our economic system.
Whereas combating the pandemic should be our high precedence, local weather change nonetheless threatens our well being, economic system, lifestyle and planet. Clear progress is one of the simplest ways to create good jobs and energy our long-term financial restoration. I anticipate you and all ministers to pursue complementary partnerships and initiatives that may help our work to exceed our emissions discount goal, seize new market alternatives to create good jobs and put together our nation to adapt to the impacts of a altering local weather.
We stay dedicated to evidence-based decision-making that takes into consideration the impacts of insurance policies on all Canadians and absolutely defends the Canadian Constitution of Rights and Freedoms. You’ll apply Gender-based Evaluation Plus (G(BA)+) within the selections that you just make and take into account public insurance policies by means of an intersectional lens with a purpose to handle systemic inequities together with: systemic racism; unconscious bias; gender-based discrimination; limitations for individuals with disabilities; discrimination towards LGBTQ2 communities; and inequities confronted by all weak populations. Each time potential, you’ll work to enhance the standard and availability of disaggregated knowledge to make sure that coverage selections profit all communities.
It’s clear that this pandemic has disproportionately affected completely different communities all through our nation. Due to this fact, we should guarantee our restoration consists of all Canadians, with an emphasis on supporting these most affected. To this finish, I anticipate that you’ll search the recommendation and listen to the views of a various group of Canadians, in each official languages. Furthermore, you’ll proceed to depend on and develop significant relationships with civil society and stakeholders, together with companies of all sizes, organized labour, the broader public sector and the not-for-profit and charitable sectors throughout Canada.
Now greater than ever, Canadians are counting on journalists and journalism for correct and well timed information, particularly within the face of a regarding unfold of misinformation. I anticipate you to foster an expert and respectful relationship with journalists to make sure that Canadians have the knowledge they should preserve themselves and their households secure.
Our capacity to implement our Authorities’s priorities is dependent upon consideration of the skilled, non-partisan recommendation of public servants. Authorities staff carry out their duties in service to Canada, with a purpose of bettering our nation and the lives of all Canadians. I anticipate you to take care of a collaborative working relationship together with your Deputy Minister, whose function, just like the function of the general public servants beneath their course, is to help you within the efficiency of your tasks.
Necessary ministerial tasks have been entrusted to you, notably delivering on the Authorities’s commitments that have been set out in your 2019 mandate letter. I anticipate that you’ll preserve me up to date and proactively talk with Canadians on the progress you make towards our priorities. At all times know you could flip to me, and the Deputy Prime Minister, at any time for help.
Along with the priorities set out in my mandate letter to you in 2019, as Minister of Well being, you’ll implement on a precedence foundation the next commitments, as set out within the Speech from the Throne 2020 and constructing off the investments within the Fall Financial Assertion 2020:
- Working with the Minister of Seniors, work with the provinces and territories to set new, nationwide requirements for long-term care in order that seniors get the perfect help potential.
- Work with the Minister of Seniors to take further motion to assist seniors age in place and keep of their houses longer.
- With the help of the Minister of Public Providers and Procurement, proceed to assist provinces and territories to extend COVID-19 testing, monitoring and knowledge capability and to deploy new, secure and permitted exams in a fashion in keeping with public well being pointers as they turn into accessible, and proceed work to increase the brand new federal Testing Help Response Staff to satisfy surge capability wants, together with in distant and remoted communities.
- As COVID-19 has intensified the well being inequities and limitations to care throughout the nation, speed up work within the following areas:
- With the help of the Minister of Variety and Inclusion and Youth, the Minister for Girls and Gender Equality and Rural Financial Improvement and the Minister of Seniors, work with the provinces and territories to make sure that all Canadians, together with weak populations and people residing in rural and distant areas, have entry to a household physician or main well being care crew, in addition to vital well being and psychological well being sources and providers, and increase capability to ship digital well being care, vital well being and psychological well being sources and providers;
- With the help of the Minister of Seniors and dealing with provinces and territories which might be keen to maneuver ahead immediately, speed up steps to realize a nationwide, common pharmacare program, together with establishing the Canada Drug Company and implementing each a nationwide formulary to maintain drug costs low and a rare-disease technique to assist households get monetary savings on high-cost medicine; and
- Proceed to deal with the opioid epidemic tearing by means of communities, which is an ongoing and worsening public well being disaster.
- Assist the Minister of Innovation, Science and Trade to make sure that Canadian researchers have the instruments and sources they should advance discoveries of vaccines and therapeutics to fight COVID-19 and, with the Minister of Public Providers and Procurement, proceed to help and implement the suggestions of the COVID-19 Vaccine Job Drive with respect to vaccine buying and the COVID-19 Immunity Job Drive, because it seems at how COVID-19 is affecting weak populations.
- Work in shut collaboration with the Minister of Public Providers and Procurement, the Minister of Innovation, Science and Trade and the Minister of Indigenous Providers on the continued work with provinces and territories and Indigenous leaders to make sure COVID-19 vaccines proceed to be effectively and extensively distributed to Canadians as soon as they’re prepared.
- Assist the Minister of Worldwide Improvement to bolster worldwide efforts to make sure that folks all over the world have entry to well being interventions to combat COVID-19, together with vaccines, therapeutics and strengthened well being programs.
- With the Minister of Innovation, Science and Trade and the Minister of Digital Authorities, help the work of the COVID-19 Publicity Notification App Advisory Council and promote the adoption of the COVID Alert app by provinces and territories to present all Canadians an additional device to maintain themselves and others secure.
- Proceed working with the Minister of Public Security and Emergency Preparedness and the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to guard the well being and security of Canadians by means of secure, accountable and compassionate administration of the border with the USA and different ports of entry into Canada.
- Assist the Minister of Employment, Workforce Improvement and Incapacity Inclusion to proceed to totally help and defend staff who’re weak to COVID-19 and safe labour to fill workforce gaps in farming and meals processing.
- Assist the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and the Minister of Employment, Workforce Improvement and Incapacity Inclusion to think about choices for additional, focused measures for private help staff as they proceed to offer important providers in our communities.
Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, P.C., M.P.
Prime Minister of Canada