Sunday, August 30, 2020
View Bigger +
It is a Great Life’s Mr. Potter could be so proud. He would possibly even be jealous of the financial cruelty now being heaped upon Rhode Island staff and small companies.
First, let’s set the stage with some inarguable information:
- Greater than 100,000 Rhode Islanders are unemployed – Supply, Governor Gina Raimondo
- A whole lot of Rhode Island companies are on the breaking level and may shut – Supply, Governor Gina Raimondo
- Medical insurance firms made tens of hundreds of thousands this spring as a result of coronavirus as customers averted hospitals and physician’s places of work – Supply, Workplace of Well being Insurance coverage Commissioner.
- Rhode Islanders already pay the second-highest charges in America (Common Annual Worker Premium Contribution for Single Protection) – Supply, The Commonwealth Fund (Exhibit 2).
- Legal professional Basic Peter Neronha’s unbiased marketing consultant discovered that there have been no grounds for a rise – Supply, Report of Beth Fritchen
- Between February and May, 21,000 Rhode Islanders misplaced their medical health insurance – Supply, Households USA’s The Nationwide Middle for Protection Innovation
Now, Governor Gina Raimondo’s administration has permitted medical health insurance fee will increase throughout the board – some as excessive as 9.7%.
The press launch despatched out by Well being Commissioner Marie Ganim may have provided probably the most insulting protection of the speed will increase.
“Overall, this year, OHIC has saved Rhode Islanders $12,870,000 by cutting the insurers’ proposed 2021 rate increases,” stated OHIC’s press launch.
This isn’t the time to extend medical health insurance charges.
It’s actually not the time to take a “victory lap” saying the will increase are lower than what was proposed.
A file variety of Rhode Islanders are out of labor and the state is within the midst of an financial recession/despair. There is no such thing as a purpose for the insurers to obtain one other windfall.
That is unhealthy public coverage and crippling for struggling companies.
Mr. Potter could be envious.
- EDITORIAL: Time to Shut Down RI – Save Lives By Being Extra Like China, Much less Like Italy
- EDITORIAL: Two Wonderful RI Gems Get Acknowledged — Iannuccilli and Rickman
- EDITORIAL: It May By no means Be As Necessary to Make a Donation As we speak in RI – Help 401 Provides
- EDITORIAL: Time to Cease the Lodge Tax Breaks – They Aren’t Wanted Anymore
- EDITORIAL: GOP Maryland Governor Targets Sources to Minorities Most in Want, In RI No Knowledge
- EDITORIAL: This Disaster Is RI’s Alternative to Reinvent Itself for the Future – 6 Should-Do Steps
- EDITORIAL: Governor Raimondo, What Values Do We Share With Bloomberg?
- Projo Editorial Mirrors Mattiello’s Speaking Factors, Elevating Extra Questions of Newspaper’s Lobbyist
- EDITORIAL: Lack of CVS in Downtown Windfall May Imply the Canary is Lifeless
- EDITORIAL: Why Joe Kennedy Issues and Ed Markey Doesn’t
- EDITORIAL: Macy’s, Verizon and NFL Are Celebrating Michael Vick — Learn An Account of What Took Place
- EDITORIAL: 20 Causes Why We Ought to Be Optimistic About 2020
- EDITORIAL: RI’s Supreme Court docket Has No Minority Justices, Time to Desegregate the Court docket
- Extra Editorials, MINDSETTERS™, Opinion, Columnists and Group Voices – GoLocal Expands
- EDITORIAL: Rhode Island’s Schooling System Goes From Mediocre to Simply Plain Chaotic
- EDITORIAL: Translate the Motion to Motion – Right here Are 5 Candidates for the RI Supreme Court docket
- EDITORIAL: Picketing Raimondo’s House is Over the Line
- EDITORIAL: We Want Greater Pondering on the Way forward for Metacomet
- EDITORIAL: Dandy Don’s Destruction of Pawtucket
- EDITORIAL: Oh Gina, What Are We Speculated to Imagine?
- EDITORIAL: Two Crises? Sure, However It’s the Financial system, Silly
- EDITORIAL: Mayor Elorza is Making a Chaotic Surroundings in Windfall
- EDITORIAL: Police in RI Ought to Hand Out Masks – Not Citations
- EDITORIAL: Newspapers’ Destiny Was Sealed by Triumph of Greed Over Innovation
- EDITORIAL: Put on a Masks (You Runners Too) – Save Somebody’s Well being and the Financial system
- EDITORIAL: It’s Not Such a Great Life – Raimondo Will increase Well being Insurance coverage Prices in Pandemic