Singapore’s life insurance coverage trade noticed new enterprise, by way of whole weighted premiums, develop 10 per cent for the primary quarter this 12 months, reaching $965.Eight million from $877.Eight million a 12 months in the past.
This comes as extra customers took motion to safe their monetary futures in view of Covid-19’s drastic influence on the worldwide and native markets, stated the Life Insurance coverage Affiliation Singapore (LIA) yesterday.
“Nevertheless, with circuit breaker measures, climbing unemployment and an impending recession, the life insurance coverage trade may see the knock-on impact within the coming quarters,” stated LIA president Khor Hock Seng.
Gross sales of annual-premium insurance policies grew three per cent 12 months on 12 months, leading to $672.four million in whole weighted annual premiums for the primary quarter, from $653.1 million for a similar interval final 12 months.
In the meantime, gross sales of single-premium merchandise superior 31 per cent to $293.four million in weighted single premiums, from $224.7 million a 12 months in the past, attributable to new product launches and related promotional actions by insurers.
Money-funded merchandise comprised the majority of single-premium product gross sales at 84 per cent, whereas Central Provident Fund Funding Scheme-included merchandise accounted for the remaining 16 per cent.
The full sum assured within the trade climbed 20 per cent to $34.64 billion within the first quarter, from $28.85 billion a 12 months in the past, in tandem with the expansion in single-and annual-premium insurance policies.
Gross sales of retirement insurance policies, which accounted for 11 per cent of whole weighted premiums for the quarter, dipped barely by 1.Eight per cent to $107 million, from $109 million a 12 months in the past. A complete of 11,713 insurance policies have been taken up within the quarter, down four per cent from 12,213 insurance policies the 12 months earlier than.
Particular person medical health insurance coverage gross sales raked in $101.Eight million by way of whole new enterprise premiums for the quarter, up 5 per cent 12 months on 12 months from $97.three million.
Built-in Protect Plans (IPs) and IP rider premiums accounted for 87 per cent, whereas 13 per cent got here from different medical plans and riders. As of March 31, there have been 57,000 extra Singaporeans and everlasting residents lined by IPs and riders that present protection on prime of MediShield Life.
Employment within the life insurance coverage sector rose four per cent within the quarter attributable to 359 web new hires in contrast with a 12 months in the past, reaching a workforce of 8,668 workers as of March 31.
Furthermore, 14,604 representatives held unique contracts with corporations working a tied company power in the identical interval.
LIA stated the Republic’s life insurance coverage trade is investing considerably in upskilling workers and monetary advisers for an more and more digitalised panorama because the nation goes by means of financial restructuring.
Nevertheless, with circuit breaker measures, climbing unemployment and an impending recession, the life insurance coverage trade may see the knock-on impact within the coming quarters.
MR KHOR HOCK SENG, president of the Life Insurance coverage Affiliation Singapore, on the influence of Covid-19 on the trade.
Member corporations are pursuing initiatives to speed up the implementation of their digital transformation methods, together with upskilling workers and offering enhanced digital instruments to monetary advisers to higher have interaction and serve clients remotely.
Gross sales of annual-premium insurance policies, in whole weighted annual premiums, within the first quarter – up three per cent 12 months on 12 months from $653.1 million.
Gross sales of single-premium merchandise, in weighted single premiums, within the quarter – up 31 per cent from $224.7 million a 12 months in the past.
Whole sum assured within the trade within the quarter, up 20 per cent from $28.85 billion a 12 months in the past.
Gross sales of retirement insurance policies, which accounted for 11 per cent of whole weighted premiums for the quarter, down from $109 million a 12 months in the past.
THE BUSINESS TIMES