Whereas the COVID-19 pandemic continues to have an effect on our each day lives with an unabated severity in sure international locations, we began experimenting with methods to adapt to the brand new setting with out shedding sight of our absolute No.1 precedence: to guard the well being and security of all of BBVA staff, purchasers and society usually. I, too, have been embracing the brand new regular by going again to my conventional agenda gadgets in an unconventional method.
July has been nonstop for me. Like final 12 months, prior to now two weeks, I’ve traveled greater than 30,000 miles, visited six international locations, and crossed the Atlantic Ocean twice. Essentially the most uncommon a part of my lengthy trek? This time, I’ve not bodily moved.
Our international presence is one thing that offers us a novel and aggressive edge over our friends, and never solely as a result of diversification of our portfolio. It permits us to share greatest practices and develop industry-leading options that each one of our nation items can use and adapt to their native actuality. An ideal instance is how the world’s greatest cell banking app -as acknowledged by Forrester- initially developed in Spain, has been launched in a number of international locations and is at present beneath growth in others. Mexico, for instance, has embraced our international cell app platform -GloMo-, and now the options developed by our Mexican group are being deployed in different international locations beneath the identical platform in a a lot sooner and environment friendly method. As an lively buyer and cell app consumer of BBVA in Spain, USA and Turkey, I’m amazed by the homogeneous expertise from the totally different apps of various international locations. That is all pushed by the truth that the underlying banking wants of our prospects are the identical wherever they’re.
Throughout my digital journey, I’ve additionally been capable of interact with many colleagues and listen to about their households, how they’re dwelling and responding to the disaster, and the way their lives have modified. After all, we additionally mentioned enterprise efficiency within the first half of the 12 months, our expectations for the second half, and future plans. Though right now a lot of our power is justifiably targeted on the response to the disaster, to guard the well being and security of these round us and proceed to serve our prospects, all of us additionally acknowledged that our strategic plan is extra legitimate and related than ever. We should reap the benefits of the teachings discovered from these difficult instances to speed up our six strategic priorities. If there’s one silver lining to this troublesome state of affairs, it’s that this disaster additionally brings us a chance to construct our capabilities for the longer term.
In closing, I wish to share some particulars of my journey to international locations in our footprint. Every geography is totally different, however there are useful frequent denominators: the strong enterprise efficiency, which has allowed us to enhance our aggressive place; our power by way of capital and liquidity, the well being metrics for a bank; our give attention to asset high quality in all international locations; and our excellent, extraordinarily proficient group.
- My journey began in Mexico. The state of affairs continues to be marked by the cruel state of affairs brought on by COVID-19, with the nation reporting one of many largest variety of circumstances on the earth. . On this complicated setting, Lalo and the BBVA in Mexico group proceed to show their power with an absolute and rising management in all merchandise and segments. Moreover, we proceed to strengthen our digital management widening the hole with our rivals.
- From Mexico to Colombia, the place in latest weeks the brand new circumstances of coronavirus have sadly been experiencing important progress. Mario and his formidable group are extraordinarily motivated. On the one hand, they’re successfully managing the disaster within the quick time period, whereas however, they’re nonetheless keenly targeted on defining clear plans for the longer term in a really enticing nation the place our clear precedence is to develop.
- The following cease was Argentina, the place we now have a group, led by Martín, educated in a number of crises, a group with unparalleled expertise and suppleness to rapidly adapt and anticipate challenges. As well as, the bank’s foundations to face this disaster are sturdy and differential. That is more and more noticeable by way of solvency, liquidity and asset high quality. I’m satisfied that, as soon as once more, BBVA in Argentina will emerge stronger from this disaster because of our group.
- From Argentina, I set my sights on Peru. The nation has already gone via particularly essential moments, because the pandemic appears to have already handed its peak though the present stage of circumstances nonetheless suggest warning. Fernando and the group have managed and successfully carried out authorities help plans as a way to alleviate the monetary state of affairs of our purchasers. They’ve finished so, admirably, with out shedding give attention to the long-term dedication to constructing the main franchise within the nation; a rustic that can also be one of the enticing within the area.
- I crossed the Atlantic Ocean to share a while with Peio and the BBVA in Spain group. Right here, the pandemic has subsided, however we’re seeing unlucky new outbreaks in some areas once more advising warning for all of us. We can’t let our guard down, some extent that I’ll preserve emphasizing till a vaccine is on the market. Peio and the group have finished an exquisite job managing the disaster, whereas enhancing our aggressive place in a number of dimensions, together with the bank’s relative profitability as in comparison with our rivals. The entire group has additionally finished an incredible job within the so-called ICO government-supported loan packages. I also needs to not neglect to say the unparalleled management we now have in digital in Spain, and the various thrilling tasks the group saved delivering on even throughout the pandemic.
- From Spain, I traveled the Atlantic Ocean again once more to the U.S. A number of the nation’s states the place we’re current, particularly Texas, Florida and Arizona, are experiencing exponential progress in new circumstances of coronavirus. Javier and the group have been proactive, granting loans with a authorities assure which have helped our communities, and so they’ve finished so in an awfully quick and environment friendly method. Our group reached exceptional milestones for instance in value of funding administration whereas driving via the pandemic with out shedding sight of our long-term strategic plan: being the very best bank in the very best area of the USA.
- From the U.S., I traveled on to my house nation, Turkey. It’s been a month for the reason that lockdown was lifted and the health-related numbers proceed to be beneath management. Briefly, Recep and group have clearly and uniquely risen to the problem prior to now few months. In a really complicated aggressive and regulatory setting, Garanti BBVA’s strategic and monetary metrics have clearly outpaced the competitors thanks once more to our fantastic group there.
The itinerary of my tour doesn’t finish right here, I wish to lengthen my recognition and gratitude to every and everybody of you within the greater than 30 international locations the place BBVA is current, on your unrelenting efforts in these attempting instances. You make this bank extraordinary. Please proceed to point out unmitigated positivity and optimism for our future.
I’d additionally prefer to take the chance to re-send a particular heat message of help to these of you impacted by the pandemic or who’ve misplaced a beloved one. You might be very current in my ideas.
Keep protected, be wholesome, and stand sturdy.