Cleveland.com is rounding up some of the most notable coronavirus news making headlines online. Here’s what you need to know for Wednesday, May 26.
Moderna vaccine effective in young teens
Moderna announced Tuesday that based on trial results, its COVID-19 vaccine is effective in children ages 12 to 18. The announcement moved Moderna closer to joining Pfizer as being approved for young adolescents. Pfizer received emergency approval for its vaccine to be given to children 12 to 15 earlier this month.
The Moderna two-shot vaccine was 100% effective in trials of 3,700 young people aged 12 to 18, the company said. There were no symptomatic cases of COVID-19 among participants who received two doses of the vaccine.
(BA)OSPOZNDOUY”>Side effects included pain at the injection site, tiredness, headaches, chills and muscle pain after the second dose. Trial participants will be monitored for the next 12 months to check for long-term effects.
Mild COVID-19 gives long-lasting antibody protection, study suggests
A new study suggests that mild cases of COVID-19 give those who recover lasting antibody protection, and that repeated bouts of illness are likely to be uncommon. The research was published Monday in the journal Nature.
Months after they recover, people who had COVID-19 are still producing antibodies against the virus that causes COVID-19, the study suggests. The research was done by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
“It’s normal for antibody levels to go down after acute infection, but they don’t go down to zero; they plateau,” said senior author Ali Ellebedy, an associate professor of pathology and immunology at Washington University School of Medicine.
“Here, we found antibody-producing cells in people 11 months after first symptoms. These cells will live and produce antibodies for the rest of people’s lives. That’s strong evidence for long-lasting immunity.”
Cleveland Clinic joins trial to investigate allergic reactions to COVID-19 vaccines
PGM2DFSTE”>The Cleveland Clinic is participating in a national multi-center clinical trial investigating if having either a mast cell disorder or a history of severe allergies to foods, drugs or vaccines increases the risk of a severe allergic reaction to the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines.
The Clinic is the only Ohio site for this study, the hospital system said in a statement. The study is sponsored and funded by the National Institutes of Health.
The Clinic is recruiting 113 adult volunteers for this trial. Volunteers may participate if:
– They’ve had an allergic reaction that required an epinephrine injection or a visit to the emergency room in the last five years, or:
– They have a diagnosis of a mast cell disorder, or:
– They have no history of allergies
Mast cell disorder, or mastocytosis, is a genetic immune disorder in which certain cells (mast cells) grow abnormally; symptoms include bone pain and diarrhea.
The NIH study will enroll 3,400 adults across 35 institutions nationwide. About 60% of study participants will have a history of severe allergies or a diagnosis of a mast cell disorder. The remaining 40% will be people with no history of allergies, the Clinic said.
For more information about participating in this study, please call 216-444-8758 or email [email protected]
Cleveland Clinic opens vaccination site in Garfield Heights
The Cleveland Clinic is opening a new COVID-19 vaccination clinic on Thursday, May 27, at Cleveland Clinic Marymount Hospital in Garfield Heights. Marymount Hospital is in a community that has had a slow uptake of the vaccine, the Clinic said in a statement.
GSP4″>The site, which will operate for five weeks, will administer vaccinations to all Ohio residents 12 and older. The vaccination clinic will initially only offer the Pfizer vaccine.
The Marymount vaccination clinic, 12300 McCracken Rd., will be open Thursdays from 2 to 7 p.m. Walk-in appointments are available. Clinic patients can make an appointment through MyChart. Those who are not Clinic patients can call the vaccine hot line at 216-448-4117.
Your coronavirus vaccine questions answered:
Are the coronavirus vaccines effective in people who are overweight or obese?
Are you contagious if you have side effects from the COVID-19 vaccine?
Can I still get my second dose of coronavirus vaccine if I develop COVID-19 symptoms after the first?
Can you mix and match two doses of coronavirus vaccine from different manufacturers?
Can you request one coronavirus vaccine if you have concerns about the other?
Coronavirus vaccine misinformation permeates social media: Here are the facts to counter six false claims
How will local drug stores keep the coronavirus vaccine on site if it needs to be cold? How will they avoid waste?
If the coronavirus vaccine is 95% effective, how will you know if you’re in the other 5%?
Should cancer patients get the coronavirus vaccine?
HDA7NFBSNF24SKTY7TG7HM”>Should you get the coronavirus vaccine if you’ve had a bad reaction to the flu shot?
Should you get the second vaccine if you contract COVID-19 after your first coronavirus vaccine dose?
What can families do safely if parents are vaccinated but their kids aren’t?
What if you contract COVID-19 in between your two coronavirus vaccine doses?
Who should skip the second shot of coronavirus vaccine? We’ve got answers
Why do I need to keep a mask on if I’ve been vaccinated for coronavirus?
Will your COVID-19 vaccine be less effective if you need to wait longer for the second dose?
[Moderna Stock – Moderna COVID-19 vaccine found effective for adolescents; those who recover from mild illness get antibody protection: Coronavirus update for May 26, 2021
Tags: Moderna Stock, NASDAQ: MRNA
Stock Market, Latest News on C N N.