Get a each day rundown of the highest tales on City Milwaukee
Milwaukee’s Restart grant program, supposed to supply companies with as much as $15,000 grants to implement COVID-19 security enhancements, will award greater than 400 companies roughly $four million in whole.
“I want our local businesses to have a fighting chance to get back to profitability as we adapt to new public health requirements and expectations,” mentioned Mayor Tom Barrett in a press release saying the awards.
To qualify for this system companies wanted to have 20 or fewer staff and fewer than $2 million in annual gross income.
Roughly 40 p.c of the candidates recognized themselves as minority-owned. Greater than 40 p.c of the candidates mentioned the enterprise was owned by a lady.
The Division of Metropolis Improvement is partnering with the Milwaukee Financial Improvement Company to distribute the grants.
Town supplied a map of the successful companies, however not a listing of names. A press launch teases a few of them together with “a peddle tavern” and a “cheese head manufacturer.” The one corporations of such sort within the metropolis are the Milwaukee Pedal Tavern and Foamation, each positioned in Walker’s Level.
Barrett was scheduled to be joined in a digital press convention by Johanna Ortiz, proprietor and operator of Johanna’s Truffles & Desserts Cafe. Barrett beforehand joined Ortiz at her grand opening ceremony on October 14th.
Town had initially budgeted to spend as much as $20 million of its greater than $100 million federal CARES Act allocation to help this system.
This system was introduced on May 15th.
“It’s going to really prepare businesses to get going,” mentioned Natanael Martinez of DCD‘s Business Hall Group when this system was introduced. “Some examples we have already seen is a lot of grocery stores have been using plexiglass.”
Martinez mentioned the funding may go in direction of new digital fee techniques and private protecting tools.
Funding was not allotted on a first-come, first-served foundation, however as an alternative in any case purposes have been collected.
Awardees could be present in every of the 15 aldermanic districts, however are clustered within the metropolis’s densest neighborhoods, Downtown, the Historic Third Ward, Walker’s Level, the Decrease East Facet and Riverwest.
Extra in regards to the Coronavirus Pandemic
- WI Each day: 900 New COVID-19 Instances, Hospitalizations On the Rise – Jeramey Jannene – Jul 16th, 2020
- third Annual Riverwest Meals Truck Rally Pivots to Drive-Through Format – Gathering Place Brewing Firm – Jul 16th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: 400 Companies Will Break up $four Million For COVID-19 Readiness – Jeramey Jannene – Jul 16th, 2020
- Companies Battle With Demand for Hire Help – Princess Safiya Byers – Jul 16th, 2020
- Rep. Robyn Vining Co-Sponsors Laws to Scale back Obstacles to Unemployment Insurance coverage – State Rep. Robyn Vining – Jul 16th, 2020
- Op Ed: The Constitutional Posturing on Masks – John Torinus – Jul 16th, 2020
- Legislative Democrats Introduce Invoice Bundle to Take away Obstacles to Unemployment Insurance coverage – State Sen. Janet Bewley – Jul 16th, 2020
- Senator Erpenbach and Legislative Democrats Announce Unemployment Bundle – State Sen. Jon Erpenbach – Jul 16th, 2020
- Wisconsin Price range: Why State Economic system Wants Federal Support – Tamarine Cornelius – Jul 16th, 2020
- WI Each day: Milwaukee Has Worst COVID-19 Outbreak In State, Hole Widening – Jeramey Jannene – Jul 15th, 2020
Learn extra about Coronavirus Pandemic right here