Tesla Megapack battery ignites fire in Australia that burns 4 days
A giant Tesla battery pack caught on fire at a building in Australia, and it took 150 firefighters and four days to contain the blaze.
More than 30 fire trucks responded to an electricity storage facility near Moorabool on Friday where they found a Tesla Megapack, a 13-ton lithium battery, engulfed in flames, according to the Country Fire Authority.
The firefighters worked to extinguish the fire from the battery, which was in a shipping container, and prevent it from spreading to other batteries in the facility. Officials issued a toxic smoke warning to nearby communities that was downgraded Sunday.
After four days of battling the blaze, the CFA said it had the fire under control Monday.
Firefighters will remain on the scene over the next 24 hours as a precaution, CFA said.
Fact check:Posts falsely claim 95% of energy for charging electric cars comes from coal
The battery company making waves:5 things you didn’t know about QuantumScape
Follow reporter Asha Gilbert @Coastalasha. Email: [email protected]