Revealed on July 28th, 2020 |
by Zachary Shahan
July 28th, 2020 by Zachary Shahan
Main into our first ever digital commerce present, which is tomorrow, Wednesday, July 29, I simply interviewed Matt Pressman, cofounder and president of EV Annex, concerning the firm’s deep historical past making Tesla aftermarket merchandise, insights from that work, how Tesla autos have modified over time, and a few of Matt’s favourite merchandise. Try the interview under the next image of Matt and his father, Roger Pressman, cofounder and chief engineer at EV Annex, who I interviewed in June relating to his new Tesla Model Y and the way it in comparison with the opposite three Tesla models he has owned (the Model 3, Model X, and Model S). On the backside of this text you may also watch a video interview the Tesla Geeks Present lately performed with Matt and Roger and the aforementioned chat I had with Roger concerning the Model Y.
Matt Pressman (left) and Roger Pressman leaning on their new-ish Tesla Model Y.
1. You guys have been making Tesla aftermarket merchandise most likely longer than 99% of people that love Tesla at present have even recognized about Tesla. Are you able to discuss a bit about how the inside design and options of Tesla autos have modified over time and the way that has influenced the evolution of your merchandise?
For certain. We had been the very first firm within the Tesla ecosystem. Our firm, EVANNEX truly began method again in 2012 in a storage. My dad was constructing a middle console insert for the Tesla Model S. He’d taken supply of the primary Model S in Florida, Signature VIN #184, and the inside didn’t have a middle console. Being an engineer, he determined to construct one and posted some designs on Tesla’s boards in 2011. He obtained a number of requests for the console, so he requested me to create a makeshift web site with a “wait list” for the console. It took off and we had ourselves just a little enterprise.
The Model S was very minimalist. The design was fashionable, easy, and glossy. However it lacked some useful storage add-ons. Along with lacking a entrance console, it lacked a rear console, a cubby compartment, and coat hooks.
A number of of those had been later rolled into the Model S and X OEM tools bundle. And plenty of extra options made their method into the Model Three and Y. However we nonetheless provide a well-liked Model Three and Y middle console insert too that helps you successfully manage your stuff.
2. One factor I really like about your merchandise is you discover very helpful and intelligent options that concentrate on practicality whereas matching Tesla’s fashion and design aesthetic. Are you able to communicate a bit about the way you establish product wants and go about designing them? (I think about there are a couple of totally different avenues for arising with and selecting new merchandise to develop.)
Tesla’s design strategy may be very spartan and stark. It seems cool however a few of us Tesla house owners type of dwell in our automobile! We would like a lot of storage and performance for lengthy street journeys. Typically we spend a number of time at Superchargers — particularly once we journey lots. A few of us wish to go tenting or tailgating. In our opinion, a Tesla proprietor ought to have all the pieces essential to make the automobile super-useful. It’s additionally a giant funding. So we attempt to provide merchandise to guard your Tesla too.
We’re a household enterprise and all of us personal Teslas. We additionally cope with extra Tesla house owners than anybody out there — outdoors of Tesla themselves. Lots of concepts come from different Tesla house owners too. A few of these Tesla house owners even create merchandise that we truly promote. For instance, a pal on the Tesla boards designed a cool Lighted T product and we determined to promote it on our website. So our household typically creates merchandise we discover helpful and thru strategies from the Tesla neighborhood itself.
3. Being the longest serving firm on this ecosystem, you may have seen the Tesla neighborhood develop and alter like virtually nobody else. Are you able to discuss how client calls for appear to have modified as new models have come out? Or are they roughly the identical, with little product tweaks right here or there?
Early on, the Tesla neighborhood was super-techy. Lots of engineers. Lots of software program of us. After all, there have been additionally a number of house owners who had been into cleantech they usually cared concerning the setting.
Afterward, when Elon launched the “D” (twin motor) variant and insane mode — which finally turned Ludicrous mode — Tesla started to draw gearheads who love superior efficiency. Finally, we had clients searching for a sporty carbon fiber look to emulate a number of the high-performance automobiles on the market.
These days, youthful Model Three house owners need add-ons like pneumatic struts, tow hitches, and Qi chargers. It’s early days, however Model Y house owners have a tendency to understand issues like pet covers, seat hoodies, and display protectors.
4. You additionally get a way for new-vehicle buy and supply stream like virtually nobody else outdoors of Tesla. That is some intel I’m all the time tremendous looking forward to. Are you able to clarify how that appears and feels in your finish — the “wave” of deliveries, end-of-quarter rushes, and many others.? And do any highlights relating to demand and deliveries stand out — whether or not proper now (intel, please!) or generally?
First, let me clarify. Most automobile patrons buy aftermarket equipment proper after they take supply of their automobile. So, typically in the course of 1 / 4, we’ll see heavy motion in Europe that may correlate with Tesla’s burst of deliveries in Europe. Typically, we’ll get a giant increase on the finish of the quarter with US-based clients (typically based mostly in California) as Tesla tries to make their end-of-quarter numbers. Earlier than Q2 ended, we noticed an enormous quantity of orders from Model Y house owners. We knew one thing large was happening.
Elon as soon as stated that Model Y will outsell S, 3, and X mixed. In our view, that’s the case already once we have a look at our personal product catalog. Demand seems to be actually excessive for Model Y. Put it this manner: I haven’t bought a share of my Tesla stock. Issues are wanting good from my vantage level.
5. Except for promoting Tesla aftermarket merchandise, you might be deeply part of the Tesla neighborhood. You’re good mates with a number of notable influencers, and you might be one of many nicest individuals on the planet who I’m certain makes mates simply. You additionally observe the Tesla information very carefully. How do you’re feeling concerning the state of Tesla consciousness within the broader public at present, and the way that has been altering lately?
Thanks, Zach, that’s super-flattering. I really like this neighborhood. Tesla house owners are a very cool bunch of individuals. I’ve met some wonderful mates by the Tesla scene. I additionally observe the Tesla information carefully and I’m actually upset in how Tesla is portrayed by conventional media shops. There’s simply a lot FUD on the market. Nobody appears to get the story proper. It’s superior that information shops like CleanTechnica exist. It’s one of many few locations the place I get to learn an correct account of what’s taking place with Tesla and the EV neighborhood generally.
I believe consciousness has grown as extra individuals purchase Teslas. All it takes is for somebody to test-drive their neighbor’s Tesla they usually’re hooked. The product sells itself. However if you happen to learn the information, it’s all the time crammed with misinformation about Elon and Tesla. I truly created the EVANNEX weblog to assist inform the actual story behind Tesla and this wonderful group of householders and supporters. I simply want I may write in addition to you!
6. Clearly, you already know what EV Annex merchandise are hottest with clients, however what are your three favourite EV Annex merchandise?
My spouse and I each drive Teslas however we dwell in a small townhouse with no entry to a storage and we’ve to park outdoors. So I really like our custom-designed automobile cowl as a result of it lets you defend the outside and nonetheless cost on the identical time. With summer season being so scorching down right here in Florida, I really like our Frunk Cooler. I’m additionally loving our latest product, the Trunk Cargo Internet, which helps maintain groceries and baggage from fall over and rolling round within the trunk.
7. What EV Annex merchandise are hottest with clients? 😉
Our all-weather flooring mats have all the time been nice to guard in opposition to snow, sand, grime, and spills. Additionally our street journey charging package is a must have for people who must cost at a visitor’s home, RV park, or different unusual spots. Additionally, charging etiquette is changing into a giant factor as EVs get extra frequent. So our charging courtesy notices are actually well-liked too.
Newest Cleantech Discuss Episodes
Newest CleanTechnica.TV Episode
Tags: EV Annex, Tesla, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Tesla Model S middle console, Tesla Model S Heart Console Insert, Tesla Model X, Tesla Model Y
Concerning the Writer
Zachary Shahan is tryin’ to assist society assist itself one phrase at a time. He spends most of his time right here on CleanTechnica as its director, chief editor, and CEO. Zach is acknowledged globally as an electrical car, photo voltaic vitality, and vitality storage skilled. He has offered about cleantech at conferences in India, the UAE, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the USA, Canada, and Curaçao.
Zach has long-term investments in Tesla [TSLA] — after years of masking photo voltaic and EVs, he merely has a number of religion on this firm and appears like it’s a good cleantech firm to spend money on. However he doesn’t provide (explicitly or implicitly) funding recommendation of any type on Tesla or some other firm.