Printed on June 28th, 2020 |
by Zachary Shahan
June 28th, 2020 by Zachary Shahan
Persevering with our sequence of end-of-month information roundups, under are seven electrical automotive and electrical SUV tales that no authors picked up however nonetheless appear worth mentioning.
Picture courtesy Polestar
1. Polestar is now taking orders for the Polestar 2. “At introduction, the Polestar 2 will feature a 300 kW long-range dual motor with a 78 kWh battery pack (in 27 modules). Torque is 487 ft-lb (660 N·m), and the target range is 275 miles.” Many have thought of the Polestar 2 to be one of many high Tesla Model Three rivals, however that’s arduous to imagine when the beginning price is $59,900. Right here’s the configurator if you wish to order a Polestar 2 or a minimum of have a look at extra particulars. Within the US, the one sellers promoting the Polestar 2 are in Los Angeles, San Jose, Manhattan, and Marin — three California cities and NYC.
Picture courtesy Buick
2. Buick introduced that it’s going to launch the VELITE 7 electrical SUV in China this yr. “Developed on GM’s world electrical car platform, the VELITE 7 compact SUV will provide an electrical vary of as much as 500 kilometers below New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) situations on a full cost. …
“Buick has been a pioneering global brand in introducing electrified vehicles in China. The family includes the VELITE 5 extended-range electric vehicle, and VELITE 6 and VELITE 6 Plus electric vehicles.”
Picture courtesy Mullen Applied sciences
3. Mullen Applied sciences simply merged with Web Component “in a stock-for-stock reverse merger in which Mullen’s stockholders will receive the majority of the outstanding stock in the post-merger Company.” Mullen plans to launch the Dragonfly Okay50 within the first half of 2021, subsequent yr, and likewise hopes to carry the MX-05 SUV to manufacturing by the tip of subsequent yr.
“We believe the timing of this merger is ideal for Mullen Technologies,” stated Mr. Michery. “It comes on the preparation of our launch of the Dragonfly K50, which will be available in Q2 of 2021 and through our retail network in California and Arizona and the development of a new EV model, the MX-05 Sport Utility Vehicle, that we expect the start of production next year. In addition, becoming public at this time should allow us to accelerate the development of our unique battery technology which is non-flammable, puncture proof, capable of maintaining full capabilities after 500,000 cycles, and is synthetic, requiring no mining of natural resources. We look forward to working with the Net Element team to complete the merger as quickly as possible.”
Mullen has eight retail areas the place it will possibly promote vehicles in California and one location in Arizona.
“In keeping with Mullen, Mullen expects to be getting into the market with a Sport Utility Automobile (SUV) utilizing a longtime and confirmed product, manufacturing and superior applied sciences, and to be produced in america. In keeping with Mullen, Mullen has created a distinct enterprise model to enter the EV market with core tenants that embody: fast-to-market, extremely environment friendly, prepared and confirmed preliminary car leveraging an present car produced internationally and designed to U.S. market wants (growth diminished from Four years to 17 months), and complemented with a portfolio of competitively priced autos (three platforms) within the fast-growing Electrical SUV phase. In keeping with Mullen, the primary SUV Mullen expects to introduce would be the MX-05, a mid-size luxurious SUV that will likely be featured as a battery electrical car.
“According to Mullen, due to launch in Q3-Q4 of 2021, the MX-05 represents Mullen Automotive’s entry into the full-electric and range extender, luxury SUV market. The MX-05 is expected to fit the Mid-Size SUV segment. Mullen projects for pre-launch to have several hundred units produced in 2021 and kickoff into full production in 2022.”
Picture courtesy Volkswagen
4. Volkswagen is letting individuals who go to the Volkswagen’s Clear Manufacturing unit in Dresden observe alongside on the e-Golf’s manufacturing line a bit. This has been referred to as “the Mach-Mit production experience.” Additionally, the will help with the manufacturing at 5 stations! The entire thing lasts 2½ hours. I’ve seen some Tesla followers make enjoyable of this, however critically — if Tesla allow you to do that, Tesla followers can be thrilled (and would doubtless discuss how particular Tesla is to do such a factor). The one factor I believe just isn’t notably cool about it’s that it prices €215. Tesla gives a manufacturing facility tour that’s free. However, hey, an organization’s obtained to pay the payments, slowing down the manufacturing line prices cash, and the transition from fossil gasoline autos to electrical autos isn’t low-cost — particularly if it occurs shortly.
One of many issues they will do is connect the e-Golf brand to the automotive. “Further experience points include the connection of the powertrain and body (“marriage”), the set up of the tail lights on the tailgate and the becoming of the radiator and radiator grille entrance with the model brand. It’s deliberate to supply the expertise package deal from 2021 on additionally for the ID.302, which can then be produced in Dresden.”
Picture courtesy Volkswagen
I believe that is very cool, particularly since it’s centered on VW’s electrical autos. You may ebook a Mach-Mit manufacturing expertise at www.glaesernemanufaktur.de — with hours for it being 9:30–11:00 am and 4:00–6:30 pm.
5. Volkswagen is rolling out the Arteon as a fastback and as a capturing brake, and it’s together with a plug-in hybrid model as an possibility. I wasn’t positive about together with this right here, because it’s a plug-in hybrid (not our favourite), however right here it’s. (Photos above courtesy Volkswagen.)
Picture courtesy Rivian
6. Rivian is outwardly shifting extra of its workforce to California. “According to the Autoline report, Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe wants all of the company’s tech people in one place; they’re currently split between Michigan, San Jose, and Irvine. While the R1T and R1S were developed in Michigan, future product development will be done in California.” The employees will likely be shifting from Plymouth, Michigan, whereas different employees in Plymouth transfer to Regular, Illinois for manufacturing work.
Picture courtesy Audi
7. The Audi e-tron received a 2020 “Wards 10 Best Interiors” award — as a result of Wards likes its inside. I drive a Tesla Model Three and completely love the minimalist design and touchscreen, so I received’t touch upon this, however right here’s extra from Audi on what the e-tron’s inside consists of:
“Like different Audi autos, the e-tron integrates premium supplies and match and end in addition to cutting-edge applied sciences just like the Digital Cockpit devices show, head-up show, dual-screen MMI® infotainment with pure speech recognition, built-in Amazon Alexa, Built-in Toll Module and capacitive-sensing steering wheel. The e-tron additionally comes with distinctive touches like its stationary digital gear selector that serves as a hand relaxation when working the MMI® with haptic contact shows, open-pore burled walnut trim, leather-based seating surfaces with technical stitching influenced by circuit boards and a three-dimensional dashboard designed to offer tranquility via its minimalist, clear design and quiet, serene cabin.
“Additionally, the Audi e-tron has appointments luxury buyers expect with its available heated, ventilated and massaging front seats and heated rear seats, and available four-zone automatic climate control.”
Assist CleanTechnica with Simply $3/Month
Commercial from Google:
Tags: audi, audi e-tron, Buick, Buick VELITE 7, Dragonfly Okay50, GM, Mullen MX-05, Mullen Applied sciences, Polestar, Polestar 2, Rivian, volkswagen, Volkswagen Arteon, Volkswagen e-Golf, Volkswagen factories, Volkswagen ID.3
In regards to the Writer
Zachary Shahan is tryin’ to assist society assist itself one phrase at a time. He spends most of his time right here on CleanTechnica as its director, chief editor, and CEO. Zach is acknowledged globally as an electrical car, photo voltaic power, and power storage professional. He has offered about cleantech at conferences in India, the UAE, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the USA, Canada, and Curaçao.
Zach has long-term investments in Tesla [TSLA] — after years of masking photo voltaic and EVs, he merely has numerous religion on this firm and looks like it’s a good cleantech firm to spend money on. However he doesn’t provide (explicitly or implicitly) funding recommendation of any type on Tesla or another firm.