A ‘deep cleaning’ of the store has been completed, officials say, adding public health authorities have been notified of the positive cases
The last day, respectively, the employees worked was on May 10, May 11, May 13, and May 16.
“We conducted a deep cleaning (of the Orillia store),” said Walmart Canada Corporate Affairs manager Felicia Fefer in an emailed statement to OrilliaMatters on Monday afternoon.
“Out of an abundance of caution, when an associate who works in one of our stores is confirmed as having tested positive, associates identified as being in close prolonged contact are directed to self-isolate,” said Fefer.
“We respond transparently to requests received about the number of recent confirmed cases in stores, distribution centres, or offices from customers or media,” she said.
Additionally, when a positive case is confirmed in a Walmart store, associates identified as being in close prolonged contact are given multiple options including to self-isolate without the fear of missing out on a crucial paycheque, Fefer says.
“Associates are paid while they isolate for two weeks. The company also provides flexible and fair options for other associates who choose to stay home for their own reasons,” she said.
“Their decision is supported, and they are able to use a number of options, including vacation time, personal time, sick days or they can request an unpaid leave. All associates also have access to free 24-hour online physician care,” she said.
Fefer says safety continues to be a “top priority” at Walmart. The company plans on continuing to take measures to support the well-being of customers and associates, including:
- Mandatory masks for customers and associates.
- Limiting the number of customers shopping in the store at one time.
- Floor markings and one-way aisles to create physical distancing.
- Increased cleaning throughout the store.
- Wellness checks that include a temperature check for all associates at the start of each shift.
- Cleaning shopping carts.
- Encouraging regular hand washing.
- Regular cleaning of work areas (including checkouts).
- Installed plexiglass dividers at registers, customer service desks, and pharmacies.